Dedicated support for pregnant and expectant women to combat substance abuse
University Behavioral Associates’ Healthy Moms and Babies Program is a program and research study funded by the Children's Bureau, a federal agency dedicated to dedicated to providing enhanced services to pregnant women and new mothers who have used substances at any time during their pregnancy.
Key principles of the program include the following:
- It’s fun! It’s a great way to meet other parents and practice helpful skills in a relaxed environment. You can bring your baby and even bring a partner if you would like.
- It’s free! We also provide refreshments, round-trip MetroCards and incentives to attend our parenting groups. There are lots of other bonuses as well!
- It works! You get state-of-the-art services from expert clinicians who are excited to help support your journey as a parent.
Key services offered as part of our Healthy Moms and Babies Program include the following:
- Weekly parenting groups for four weeks to help you learn what to expect when having a new baby, providing you with a safe, fun place to learn and practice parenting skills
- Support in creating a Plan of Safe Care for you and your baby
- Meetings with a clinician and referrals for substance-use treatment, as needed
- Referrals to services that address each family’s unique needs and concerns
If you are 18 or older, pregnant (16 or more weeks) or a new mother (up to 12 weeks postpartum) who lives in the Bronx, has used substances at any time during your pregnancy and has received prenatal services (or delivered your baby) at Montefiore, you may be eligible to participate in this research study.
Frequently Asked Questions
The reason why not everyone is able to receive the services described above is because this is part of a study.
It is a possibility that you may not be part of the group that receives the additional services, since that is decided at random (like by the flip of a coin). However, you can still seek out any services (including going to parenting groups) on your own at any point.
We hope you will come back to fill out the questionnaires six months later, because the work we do here will help us learn more about how we can best support mothers-to-be and new moms. Our hope is that learning more about this can allow us to provide this service to all moms and moms-to-be in the future.
Yes, please ask for details.
Yes, we can use translation services for families who prefer Spanish.
They are fun! You will learn about your baby's development and needs, how to connect with your baby as well as others in your life, how to get support and how to take care of yourself during this exciting but exhausting time.
We have groups in lots of locations throughout Montefiore. We would be happy to let you know our upcoming schedule once you enroll.
To obtain more information, such as where groups are held, please contact the Healthy Moms and Babies Program directly:
UBA Healthy Moms and Babies Program
Providers If you are a clinician who would like to refer a client to our program, please feel free to contact our team. We would be happy to speak with you regarding any further questions you may have and hope to work with your patients to improve their care!